Officers & Directors
Davin SmithVice President
John Wayne KesslerPresident Elect
Marcus LandersDirector 2021
Shawn WillardDirector 2021
Amy WhistleDirector 2022
Whillie BakerDirector 2023
Catlin WardlowDirector 2020
Adam HaleyImmediate Past President Expiring 2021
Legislative Committee – Purpose StatementThe purpose of the Legislative Committee is to monitor, evaluate, and report any possible or proposed legislation that could have an impact on KAA members or the auction profession. To identify any areas of concern that may warrant instituting legislative action by the KAA. To take appropriate action as directed by the KAA President or Executive Committee. The Legislative Committee shall carry out its responsibilities in the following manner:
- Work closely with the KAA legislative agent and any other sources available to monitor any known possible legislation that is under consideration and any proposed legislation that would have an impact on KAA members or the auction profession.
- Evaluate any relevant possible or proposed legislation.
- Report to the KAA President any areas of concern that could possibly require KAA action.
- When so directed by the KAA President or Executive Committee, work closely with the KAA Legislative Agent, members of the legislature and their staff, members of the Legislative Research Commission (if requested), and the Kentucky Board of Auctioneers (when appropriate) in regards to possible or proposed legislation.
- When so directed by the KAA President or Executive Committee, work with the KAA Executive Director to inform the KAA membership of proposed legislation and/or encourage political action by the membership.
- The Chairman, along with the Legislative Agent, shall report to the membership during the annual KAA business meeting on pertinent legislative matters.
John M. KesslerChair
By-Laws Committee - Purpose StatementThe By-Laws Committee shall be familiar with, be available for council regarding and facilitate requested changes to the Kentucky Auctioneers Association By-Laws. The By-Laws Committee shall carry out its responsibilities in the following manner:
- Each member shall review the KAA By-Laws annually.
- Be available to answer questions regarding, advise upon or interpret the By-Laws when requested by the Executive Committee or any KAA member.
- When appropriate, make recommendations for changes to the By-Laws to the Executive Committee.
- Draft and present to the membership, any proposed By-Laws change requested by the Executive Committee or by a majority vote of the membership at the annual business meeting.
- Be available to advise the Executive Committee or the membership during the annual business meeting of any parliamentary procedural question.
- To notify the President of any By-Law or parliamentary procedural issue arising from any KAA meeting or function.
Membership Committee - Purpose StatementThe purpose of the Kentucky Auctioneers Association (KAA) Membership Committee is to monitor all aspects of membership, including recruitment and retention. The Membership Committee recommends strategies for enhancing membership of the KAA and continually evaluates its current services and benefits to ensure members’ needs are met. The Membership Committee works directly with the President and Executive Director of the KAA to develop member incentives along with creating new benefits that help retain members and add value to their professional careers in the Auction Industry. The Membership Committee continuously searches for energetic Auction Professionals who are excited, talented and interested in helping others.
Membership Committee – Job DescriptionThe Membership Committee (MC) shall carry out its responsibilities in the following manner:
- The MC members shall attend 80% of all scheduled committee meetings (majority are conference calls and will require no travel).
- The Chairman of the MC, either through his designee or in writing, shall report to the Board at its meetings any and all updates or make any recommendations to the Board as may be necessary.
- All MC Members shall provide input and suggestions to help improve the benefits and services of KAA in an effort to add value to existing and future memberships by setting goals for recruitment and retention.
- All MC members will work closely with the President and Executive Director of the KAA in assisting with membership issues and/or initiatives.
- All MC members shall support and promote membership involvement year round through monthly email letters, interim press releases of significant events, conferences, continuing education seminars and through social media.
- All MC members shall become Ambassadors to the KAA and be expected to address questions regarding the KAA’s mission, objectives, structure, costs and most importantly the benefits of membership.
- All MC members shall actively recruit new members in addition to promoting and encouraging participation in the KAA. “GET INVOLVED-MEMBERSHIP MATTERS”
- All MC members, as Ambassadors shall focus on RETENTION by contacting existing members who have not renewed their membership to determine why and provide encouragement to rejoin.
- All MC members shall assist in gathering information or data from existing members via surveys or questionnaires to assess membership needs.
- All MC members shall assist in developing marketing tools (brochures, flyers, etc.) to assist in recruitment and retention.
- The Chairman of the MC shall prepare and present a report to the KAA membership at its annual meeting. The report shall include, but not be limited to:
- areas of strengths,
- areas of improvement,
- areas of weakness,
- areas of vulnerability and
- any internal or external matters or changes in such matters that has impacted or may impact the association’s membership numbers.
Publicity & Social Media Committee
Adam HaleySocial Media & Publicity
Tyler MounceSocial Media & Publicity Committee
Caitlin WardlowSocial Media & Publicity Chairman
Publicity & Social Media Committee – Purpose StatementThe Publicity & Social Media Committee shall work to publicize the benefits of the KY Auctioneers Association to both members and non-members auctioneers. They shall be responsible to give good publicity on the work of KAA Auctioneers and show the importance of using a KAA auctioneer. In addition, the Publicity & Social Media Committee shall work with the Executive Director to promote the importance of KAA Auctioneers on all social media platforms available. In addition we will work with the Executive Director to ensure that the benefits of becoming a new member are realized by all existing members.
- Use social media platforms to promote the KAA to members, non-members, and the general public.
- Work with the ED on literature promoting the use of KAA Auctioneers for their own personal use in advertising.
- Create press releases for KAA members to use.
- Use social media platforms to promote KAA auctioneer’s auctions.
- Use social media platforms to spotlight specific members for the general public.
- Create info packets to send to non-members encouraging their membership.
Lifetime Achievement Committee
Lifetime Achievement Award – Purpose Statement
The purpose of the Lifetime Achievement Award is to recognize an individual or business entity that has excelled in advancing the auction profession and more particularly the Kentucky Auctioneers Association.
The Lifetime Achievement Award Committee shall carry out its responsibilities under the following guidelines and in the following manner:
- The recipient of this award shall demonstrate professionalism, integrity and devotion to the Kentucky Auctioneers Association.
- The recipient of this award, whether a licensed auctioneer, auction support staff, a professional entity, or any other person being recognized must have served as an auctioneer or promoted and given service to the association for a minimum of ten years.
- This award shall be given in three year intervals, unless the committee determines to award this designation for service they determine should be recognized sooner.
- This award shall be given at the annual convention of the Kentucky Auctioneers Association.
- The Committee shall solicit nominations for recipients of this award through means utilizing The Chanticlear or other publications of the Kentucky Auctioneers Association as well as emails to members of the Association.
Jeff GeraldsNominating Committee Chairman
Tim HaleyNominating Committee
Doyle WilsonNominating Committee
Joe GribbinsNominating Committee
Rick WardlowNominating Committee
Steve HenryNominating Committee
Nominating Committee-Purpose Statement
The purpose of the Nominating Committee is to nominate and evaluate potential candidates for KAA Officer, Director and expiring Commissioner position(s) on the Kentucky Board of Auctioneers.
Nominating Committee-Job Description
- Accept recommendations and applications for president elect, vice president and open seats on the Board of Directors.
- Seek out qualified candidates for these positions and representation from all areas of the state.
- Encourage members to seek office and to give back to the KAA.
- Follow the guide lines and election policy as established by the Board of Directors and the By-Laws of the KAA.
Rick WardlowFinance Committee Chairman
Charles WhitleyFinance Committee
Steve BarrFinance Committee
Tim HaleyFinance Committee
John KesslerFinance Committee
Russel MillsFinance Committee
David MeadeFinance Committee
Finance Committee – Purpose StatementThe purpose of the Finance Committee is to monitor and evaluate the financial condition and operations of the KAA and to bring to the Board’s attention any identified areas for improvement or concern.
Finance Committee – Job DescriptionThe Finance Committee (FC) shall carry out its responsibilities in the following manner:
- The committee shall periodically, but not less than quarterly, review the association’s balance sheet and income and expense statement. Said reviews may be conducted on a more frequent basis if deemed warranted.
- The Chairman of the Finance Committee, either through his designee or in writing, shall report to the Board at its meetings, the findings of its review process and make any recommendations to the Board as may be deemed prudent.
- The committee shall identify and recommend to the Board any internal control measures that may be considered prudent from a sound business standpoint.
- Part of the job description of the Executive Director is to submit quarterly financial statements (balance sheet and income and expense statement) to the President and Chairman of the Finance Committee within 30 days of the end of the quarter. The FC Chairman shall promptly forward these to the other FC members for review and feedback.
- All FC members shall acknowledge receipt of the financial statements and provide the Chairman with any key observations and suggestions.
- The FC Chairman shall prepare and present a report to the KAA membership at its annual meeting. The report shall include, but not be limited to,
- areas of strengths,
- areas of improvement,
- areas of weakness,
- areas of vulnerability and
- any internal or external matters or changes in such matters that has impacted or may impact the association’s financial performance.
Willie Baker2018 KAA Board of Directors
Joe GribbinsEducation Committee
Steve HeneryEducation Committee
The Education Committee shall make available to our members classes which will enable them to complete the required continuing education and CORE requirements of the Kentucky Board of Auctioneers. The participation in and cost of said classes shall be closely monitored, to keep it a financially sound benefit for our membership and for the KAA.The Education Committee will also make available to our membership classes which teach the latest polices and procedures currently being used by successful auctioneers. Since technology is the driving force of change in our industry, we would anticipate a major effort in this area. All members of the Education Committee and board of directors shall be asked to prepare a report evaluating the classes and instructors of continuing education for that year. Said reports shall be used for consideration of classes to be taught the following years. The Education Committee shall strive to make available to our membership educational opportunities which will assist them in our profession.
Auctioneer of the Year Committee
Auctioneer of the Year Committee: Purpose StatementThe mission of the Auctioneer of the Year Committee is to promote and elevate the auction profession across the state of Kentucky, bringing recognition to the hard working auctioneers.
Auctioneer of the Year Committee: Job DescriptionThe job description for the Auctioneer of the Year Committee is to recruit and encourage any and all active Kentucky Auctioneer Association members to nominate another viable Kentucky Auctioneer Association member candidate for the auctioneer of the month. If for any reason nominations are not received, the committee will discuss amongst themselves and choose no more than ten viable candidates. The committee will evaluate the point system forms filled out and choose no more than ten candidates a month to receive the award. At the end of the year the committee will review the point systems for each auctioneer of the month and whoever has the highest points for the entire year will in turn be awarded the Auctioneer of the Year Award.
Long Range Planning Committee
Cliff Ed IrvinChair
Billy Frank Harned
Long Range Planning Committee – Purpose StatementThe purpose of the Long-Range Planning committee is to recommend strategic actions to the Executive Committee that yield outcomes and progress in support of the Kentucky Auctioneers Association Vision and Mission statements.
Long Range Planning Committee – Job DescriptionThe Long Range Planning Committee shall carry out its responsibilities in the following manner:
- As soon as feasible after being formed by the incoming KAA president the Committee shall meet or communicate to review the previous Committee report and to begin drafting a new written Committee report to be presented to the Executive Committee at its first quarterly meeting following the annual convention.
- The Committee may utilize informal or formal survey procedures to canvas the KAA membership as to their perceptions, concerns and suggestions regarding the KAA.
- When appropriate, the Committee shall recommend any suggestions or modifications to the KAA Vision and Mission Statements to the Executive Committee.
- The written Committee report, presented at the first quarterly Executive Committee meeting shall be presented in whole, or if appropriate a summary thereof, to the membership during the annual business meeting. The Committee Chairperson and or President will comment on any action taken during the year by the Executive Committee on the recommendations in the report.
Adam HaleyConvention Committee
email@example.com (270) 772-0528
Russell Mills2018 KAA President
firstname.lastname@example.org (270) 237-7625
Caitlin Wardlow2018 KAA Board of Directors
email@example.com (502) 541-0948
Will GregoryConvention Committee
Steve Cherry2012 KAA President
firstname.lastname@example.org (270) 392-5258
Charles WhitleyConvention Committee
Convention Committee-Purpose StatementThe Convention Committee exists to enhance the overall experience of the Annual Convention by assisting in the planning, organizing and execution of the event. Convention Committee will help with the set-up and breakdown of Convention Activities as needed or requested by the Executive Director.
Convention Committee-Job DescriptionOnce the President decides on the location of the Annual Convention the committee will provide any information they may have for that area in planning for the convention. Site visits may be required by members prior to singing contract for venue. Through interaction with KAA members the committee will discuss the successes, area that needs improvement and failures from the previous Convention. Input and suggestions for improvements for the next convention will begin in mid summer of each year. Suggestions for vendors that will enhance the Convention experience will need to be pursued during the summer months as February is a very busy month for Conventions. Committee members are requested to attend the board meeting just prior to the scheduled Convention, this meeting is held at the venue to go through the layout of convention and ensure that they know how everything will be laid out during convention. During the Convention the Convention Committee will:
- assist in registration of attendees and hand out registration packets
- serve as greeters to attendees during convention
- receive items for the fun auction and/or direct where those items are received
- collect dinner tickets at both the Saturday Buffet and Sunday Presidential Gala ensuring that only those with valid tickets are admitted into the area during these events.
Bid Calling Contest Committee
Bid Calling ContestTo organize and put on the Kentucky Auctioneer Bid Calling Championship contest in conjunction with the Kentucky Auctioneer’s Association annual convention. To encourage participation from all members. Characteristics of members on this committee: organized, participated in a contest, attends the conventions.
Bid Calling Contest – Job DescriptionDuties of this Committee are:
- Ringman during the Bid Calling Championship preliminary and final rounds
- Identify an emcee for the Competition.
- Identify the judges for the contest.
- Coordinate a tally crew to verify and tally the score sheets.
- Ensure each Competitor understands the rules of the competition and that they have identified each item they will be selling.
- Prepare the Competitors prior to the contest with final instructions on what is being judged and in what order they will compete.
- Provide the emcee with the finalists and winners of the competitions.
- Ensure the plaques are in order and ready for distribution.
Fun Auction Committee
Randy MooreFun Auction Committee
Brad HarrisFun Auction Committee
Fun Auction Committee-Purpose StatementThe purpose of the Fun Auction Committee is to promote the fun auction in advance, encourage participation and procurement of auction items, conduct the auction in a timely fashion and report on the proceeds of the auction at the annual meeting.
Fun Auction Committee-Job Description
- This committee should promote the Annual Fun Auction throughout the entire KAA membership for widespread participation and donations for this yearly fundraiser. It should be noted this is the largest fundraiser of the year for the KAA.
- The committee should encourage widespread participation by offering donors a chance to show their skills by selling their own items. It should also be encouraged for donors to identify their donated items for recognition.
- The committee should be responsible for reminding and promoting the annual Fun Auction to the KAA membership through the magazine, website or email (in coordination with the Exec. Director) prior to the annual KAA Convention.
- The committee should provide for a secure location for drop off of donated items.
- The committee should provide set up of items prior to the Fun Auction event.
- The committee should provide adequate help for ring personnel, movement, management, and clerking of donated items.
- The committed should provide a report that indicates the total sales and report an increase or decrease from the previous year along with any trends.
Sunday Worship Committee
Tammy WellsSunday Worship
Gerald WellsSunday Worship
Steve HenrySunday Worship
Scholarship Committee – Purpose Statement
The purpose of the Scholarship Committee (SC) is to receive applications submitted for the annual KAA scholarships, review them for eligibility, and select the recipients. The number of scholarships and value of the scholarships will be determined by the KAA board of directors prior to the annual convention.
KAA scholarships are designed to encourage individuals to pursue the auction profession, and to encourage training and education to enhance skills and knowledge in the auction profession.
Scholarship Committee-Job DescriptionThe Scholarship Committee shall carry out its responsibilities in the following manner:
- The Scholarship Committee shall consist of a Chairperson and at least 2 other members, but no more than 5 total members as appointed by the President of the Association.
- No one may serve as a SC member who is applying for a scholarship, or has a relative (child, grandchild, sibling, niece or nephew) applying for a scholarship. A SC member shall withdraw from the committee in the event of a relative submitting a scholarship application. The President may appoint a replacement member if necessary.
- All applications shall be for auction related training, education, or certifications/designations. Applicants desiring to obtain an apprentice auctioneer’s license or principal auctioneer's license shall receive greatest consideration.
- Current KAA members and their sons/daughters and grandchildren (with apprentice or principal auctioneer’s license) who desire to pursue auctioneering training/education and auctioneering designations shall receive next priority in consideration by the SC.
- Applicants for auction related scholarships, that are not KAA members, must be residents of the state of Kentucky, and are required to become a member of KAA before they are awarded a scholarship.
- In the event there are more applications than available scholarships, the SC may use its discretion to determine the most eligible candidates and should take into consideration whether the applicant has previously been awarded a scholarship, and should give preference to those applicants that have not recently won a scholarship. The content and quality of the essay portion of the scholarship application should be used to further evaluate the applicant.
- The scholarship winners will be announced prior to annual convention and acknowledged during annual convention.
Hall of Fame Committee
Danny FordHall Of Fame Chairman
ALL PAST Hall of Fame Inductees make up this committee. For more information contact Danny Ford. email@example.com
Catlin WardlowMagazine Chairman
Russell MillsMagazine Committee
Charles WhitleyMagazine Committee
Amy WhistleMagazine Committee